Solar power is the conversion of energy from sunlight into the usable electricity. It is a renewable, widely available and clean energy source. It uses two major technologies to harness solar energy. First, Solar thermal technology captures the sun’s heat which can be used directly or converted into mechanical energy and in turn electricity. This is known as concentrated solar power. Second technology called Photovoltaic solar technology which directly converts sunlight into electricity using panels of semiconductor cells.
Solar energy not only benefits individual owners but also benefit the environment as well. Solar offers a free, reliable source of power to run a wide range of devices. There are many advantages that solar energy has to offer over traditional sources of energy like coal and oil. Here are some of the advantages of solar energy which may help you to take a smart decision to choose solar energy.
Top 5 Advantages Of Using Solar Energy
1. Renewable Energy Source
- Most of the countries are moving towards green energy to minimize pollution and save the world. Also, it is much needed to avoid the dependency on other countries for consistent supply of coal to produce electricity.
- We cannot run out of solar energy, unlike some of the other sources of energy. Solar energy is a renewable source of energy as it can be used to produce electricity as long as the sun exists. Therefore sunlight will be available to us for at least 5 billion years when according to scientists the sun is going to die.
- Solar energy from the sun is the consistent and constant power source and can be used to harness power even in remote locations.
- There are some challenges to produce solar power during the night and cloudy days, however, the sun still emits energy through clear and cloudy skies. Also, it can be stored in batteries and used when the weather is not suitable to get solar energy.
2. Reduces Electricity Bills / Economical
- Rocketing of electricity costs is a big challenge and solar power is the best cost-saving alternative available to cut down your electricity bill and save handsome money every year. It also eliminates your dependence on your local power utility company.
- It could be set up to take up energy consuming activities like heating water and heating homes. You can accomplish this by installing solar panels in your home. Since you will be meeting some of your energy needs with the electricity your solar system has generated, your energy bills will drop.
- How much you save on your bill will be dependent on the size of the solar system, your electricity or heat usage and how your home faces the sun. Some solar panels actually generate more electricity than your home consumes. This could decrease your monthly electric bill to zero. You can actually qualify for a rebate if your solar power system produces excess electricity. This depends on the area you live in and considering that your solar panel system is connected to the grid.
3. Low Setup And Maintenance Costs
- The cost of solar power has dropped dramatically in recent years. Also, newly designed solar panels have slimmer profiles and sleek trims that blend much more seamlessly with traditional roofs.
- There are no moving parts, there is no wear and tear, therefore, solar energy systems generally don’t require a lot of maintenance. You only need to keep them relatively clean, so cleaning them a couple of times per year will do the job. There are some companies which provide solar panel cleaning facilities.
- Most reliable solar panel manufacturers offer 20-25 years warranty. The inverter and cable is usually the only part that needs maintenance or needs to change after 5-10 years because it is continuously working to convert solar energy into solar power.
- After covering the initial one-time setup cost of the solar system which you can recover in the long run, you can expect very little spending on maintenance and repair work.
- More solar panels could be added very easily if your energy needs change over a period of time. Apart from this, solar panels do not create any noise or release any toxic substances.
4. Eco-Friendly Power Solution
- Domestic oil reserves continue to decline, so alternative energy sources are becoming more important than ever. It is much needed to conserve non-sustainable energy sources and protecting the environment for the next generation. Global climate change is a growing concern. Solar energy is clean. It creates electricity without contributing to global warming pollution. There’s no waste generated and the lifespan of the photovoltaic panels is far longer than other energy systems.
- When fossil fuels are used to create electricity, they produce harmful gas emissions that affect the safety of air, water, and soil. In contrast, solar energy produces no pollution. Solar energy is an alternative for fossil fuels as it is a non-polluting, clean, reliable and renewable source of energy. It does not pollute the air by releasing harmful gases like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide or sulfur oxide.
- The sun’s power offers an unlimited source of energy that does not strip the landscape or harm the ozone layer. Solar energy will not only help you dial back on your carbon footprint but also oversize your systems to ensure you live in a carbon-free house.
5. Easy Installation
- Solar panels are easy to install and does not require any wires, cords or power sources.
- Unlike wind and geothermal power stations which require them to be tied with drilling machines, solar panels do not require them and can be installed on the rooftops which mean no new space is needed and each home or business user can generate their own electricity.
- Moreover, they can be installed in a distributed fashion which means no large scale installations are needed. With the advancement in technology and the increase in production, the cost of solar panels has come down slightly. Areas where the cost of electricity is high, payback times can be even lower.
- Solar energy can be of a great boon in areas which have no access to power cables. It works great in remote locations where running power lines would be difficult or costly. Solar panels can set up to produce solar energy there as long as it receives the sunlight.
Apart from these solar energy benefits, it also helps to create new jobs and provides sustainable economic growth. Production of solar panels is becoming a growing source of employment in research, manufacture, sales, and installation.
Most governments give tax credits to homeowners in a bid to encourage the use of solar energy. These tax credits mostly cover more than 30% of the installation cost. Lots of states also extend tax rebates to homeowners that utilize solar energy. So what are you waiting for, try to explore the possibility of installing solar power setup if you haven’t done it already.
What’s your thought on using solar energy over the non-sustainable source of energy?