What is “Mission Shakti”?
Let’s start with knowing the Mission Shakti. India on 27th March 2019 at 11:00 AM IST conducted an anti-satellite (ASAT) missile test with complete indigenous technology developed by India’s DRDO. To ensure that there is no space debris, the test was done in the lower atmosphere and the missile successfully targeted one of its existing satellites with an extremely high degree of precision and technical capability. Whatever debris that has been generated will eventually decay and fall back onto the earth within few weeks.
Mission Shakti was a joint mission of the DRDO and ISRO. “Mission Shakti” is all about developing the anti-satellite weapons (ASAT) which can destroy the satellites which are in the low earth orbit and polar orbit.
Satellites in Low Earth Orbit are the general satellites which are in the zone of the 2 to 4 times radii of the earth. Satellites in this zone are primarily used for the Iridium phone system, weather satellites, earth mapping satellites, spy satellites, etc.
What is an Anti-Satellite or ASAT Missile?
Anti-satellite or ASAT missiles are space weapons designed to incapacitate or to destroy the satellites for strategic military purposes. What is noteworthy is the fact that ASAT has never been used so far in any warfare. India has emphasized that this technology will always be used for the benefit of people and India will remain a peace-loving country.
Some of the ASAT missiles were tested by China, USA and Russia in the years 2007 (SC-19 ASAT missile), 2008 (RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 ABM), and 2015 (PL-19 Nudol), respectively. “Mission Shakti was a highly complex one, conducted at extremely high speed with remarkable precision and Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite was shot down by an A-SAT satellite in just 3 minutes. It shows the remarkable dexterity of India’s outstanding scientists and the success of our space program. Kudos to out genius scientists.
Why “Mission Shakti” is a great achievement for India?
- India can use this missile if the enemy country’s satellite has been found to spy the India and movements which can harm the national security.
- Satellites are used by countries for navigation, communications and also for guiding their missile weaponry. The ability to bring down an enemy’s missile, therefore, gives a country the capability to cripple the critical infrastructure of the other country, rendering their weapons useless.
- After mission mars, 104 satellites from a single rocket, ballistic missile defense, India once again proved that she is technologically advanced and developed indigenous techniques.
- It is highly needed when you have a threat for the countries like the US, Russia or China as they already have developed this system a long time ago.
- India can now destroy the mobile network of the enemy country during the war. Not only this, but India can also deactivate their location, surveillance, signals intelligence, communications, navigation, and weather estimation system to put the enemy in the situation of tumult and fear.
Our scientists of DRDO and ISRO and their founders deserves most of the credit. But we can’t ignore the political will which gave permits to the mission which lasted for years. DRDO chief already stated that we can make anti-satellite missile in 2012 but political will was absent then.
No country has ever brought down the satellite of any other country, either during a conflict or by mistake, however it is good to have the capability to do so in a war like to critical situation. I trust, Mission Shakti will surely help India to stand strong and secure country.
In my view, war is good for no one but it is wise to be strong enough to avoid such a situation. I hope you liked this information. Feel free to share more information about “Mission Shakti” in this comment section. Please share if you liked it.
Thank you for the reading and God bless you all.